Minneapolis, Minn. —Hinoman USA, Inc.—a food solutions innovator with headquarters in Minneapolis—today announced the newest solution for healthy eating is available in the US: Mankai®, the world’s tiniest vegetable. After over a decade of extensive research and farming Mankai, benefits are available in the US. Mankai® is a nutritional plant powerhouse, supported by clinical research with health benefits documented in more than eight peer-reviewed studies. With only 1 in 10 Americans consuming enough vegetables, Mankai aims to be an easy and impactful solution to improving the American diet.
“With only 1 in 10 Americans getting their daily USDA recommended allowance of fruit and vegetables we are eager to make a difference improving that statistic. The nutrition and benefits Mankai offers can be life changing. There are a lot of wonderful greens out there but the science that backs Mankai is groundbreaking. We think there is real potential to change the way people eat and think about vegetables.” said Ephi Eyal, Chief Executive Officer of Hinoman, USA. “We’re looking to make a positive impact one serving at a time. Mankai makes a difference with every bite, and quite literally make the world a little greener.”
A blending of the Hebrew words “manna,” and “kai,” Mankai can be translated as “life food.” Mankai offers nutrition superior to most vegetables and may be the most nutrient dense vegetable available, given its compact size of only 1/64 of an inch. This tiny green is a complete plant protein with all nine essential amino acids, and contains iron, fiber, Vitamin B12, and numerous other micronutrients.
Mankai, as part of the green Mediterranean diet, has been included in multiple peer-reviewed studies. An 18-month clinical trial, published in top-tier, peer-reviewed journals including The BMJ, Journal of Nutrition, Gastroenterology, Nutrients and Journal of Functional Food featured Mankai as part of the Green Mediterranean Diet Study. The Direct-PLUS Research trial demonstrated a variety of conclusive health outcomes:
- Weight Loss[i] Participants in the green MED diet and MED diet groups exhibited similar weight loss that was greater than those in the HDG group (p<0.001 for both comparisons). The green MED diet group drank a Mankai smoothie daily and saw a larger decrease in waist circumference as compared to the other two intervention groups.
- Blood Pressure systolic blood pressure and diastolic blood pressure decreased more in the green MED diet group than those in the HDG group (p=0.001).
- Cholesterol Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) levels of those participants in the green MED diet group were reduced significantly more than those of the HDG group (p=0.012). Triglyceride levels were reduced similarly in both MED diet groups and significantly more than in the HDG group. In addition, the MED diet group and the green MED diet group had similarly increased their HDL-C levels.
- Gut Microbiome Studies have shown that Mankai has the potential to affect or modify the gut microbiota.4, [ii] Nearly 200 diverse polyphenols and phenolic compounds were detected in Mankai.4 The study found Mankai-related polyphenols in the plasma and urine of participants consuming Mankai in the green MED diet group compared to the other groups after 6 and 18 months.
- Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease[iii] Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) affects about 24% of U.S. adults and is seen in about 25% of the world population. Current treatment recommendations include general guidance for weight loss through lifestyle changes. Those participants in the green MED diet group had a significantly higher reduction in intrahepatic fat as compared with the MED group and HDG. Of note, the researchers demonstrated that the prevalence of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease was reduced in half by the addition of exercise and the green MED diet, which was enriched with Mankai and walnuts. Furthermore, compositional shift of the microbiome was estimated to account for 22% of IHF change by the lifestyle interventions.
[i] Tsaban et al. The effect of green Mediterranean diet on cardiometabolic risk; a randomized controlled trial. Heart 2020; 107:1054-1061.
[ii] Diotallevi, et al. Measuring the effect of Mankai® (Wolffia globosa) on the gut microbiota and its metabolic output using an in vitro colon model. J Funct Foods 2021 June; 84 (2021) 104597.
[iii] Meir et al. Effect of green-Mediterranean diet on intrahepatic fat: the DIRECT PLUS randomized controlled trial. Gut 2020; Published Online First: 18 January 2021.
Mankai doesn’t rely on massive tracts of land and nor does it rely on elaborate manual labor to grow. It’s cultivated hydroponically indoors, on arid land relying on natural sun and heat to thrive. Mankai uses 1/7th the amount of water per gram of protein as pea protein and 1/20th less per gram than most animal sources. Mankai is consumed as a complete plant leaving almost no food waste, making it a sustainable plant that’s easy on the planet.
Mankai is sold in frozen cubes and is now available in the lower 48 states on the company’s website and on Amazon.
Mankai® is a nutritional plant powerhouse, supported by clinical research, making it a green you shouldn’t live without. This leafy green is the world’s smallest vegetable and is a high-quality, complete, plant-based protein that contains bioavailable iron, fiber, vitamin B12 and other essential nutrients. The tiny, but mighty green has health benefits documented in more than eight peer-reviewed studies.
Mankai belongs to the Lemnaceae family and is grown hydroponically. Lemnaceae have been extensively researched for their unique nutrient profile. Mankai is a proprietary species of the domesticated Wolffia globosa plant. It is grown indoors in a hydroponic system, using little light, water and with minimal food waste, making it both nutrient dense and easy on the planet. Mankai doubles every three days and is harvested daily year-round making it extremely efficient to farm. The Mankai species of Lemnaceae, Wolffia globosa, was selected by Hinoman for its small size (1/64th of an inch), its oval shape, and its lack of roots resulting in an appealing taste and texture.
Mankai’s neutral taste and texture makes it easy to integrate into any food, making consuming greens easier than ever. With only 1 in 10 Americans getting enough vegetables, Mankai is an easy and impactful nutrition solution to improving the American diet. More at www.eatmankai.com
Hinoman applies scientific know-how, research, and development toward sustainable agriculture. The enterprise’s primary product Mankai® is a nutritious plant offering unparalleled opportunities for developing better bodies, better agriculture, and a better world. Learn more about how Hinoman is driving the plant-based revolution at http://www.hinoman.com
Sold and shipped to consumers as frozen cubes, Hinoman’s proprietary product is packed with unmatched nutrition and represents the next generation of sustainability: for health, for the food industry, and for the planet.